OUR LITTLE ICE CREAM FACTORY
It's what's on the inside that counts
The original Carl's site was a Cities Service Station from the 1930's through the early 1960's. The building was vacant until the late 1960's when it became the home of Mr. Softee. Click here to hear the old tune of the Mr. Softee truck!
Carl Garbe bought and renamed the store Carl's Ice Cream in 1980. Carl and his wife, Betty, managed it and started making hard ice cream there. It was, and still is, the only ice cream store in Bloomington/Normal that makes its own premium hard ice cream. Wade Irwin and Robert Willerton purchased the store in 1987. Robert Willerton retired in January of 1998 and sold his half to Wade Irwin who has remained the sole owner ever since.
Wade made the decision to expand in 2006 and purchased the vacant National City Bank building at 1700 W College. The building was renovated and opened its doors for business on January 26, 2007. The same delicious premium hard ice cream is now made at the College Avenue location!
The College Avenue location is open year round and has spacious indoor and outdoor seating. A full food menu was added to the offerings. Come on by to enjoy the best burgers and the best ice cream in town!